Thursday, 4 January 2007

The Princess Diaries: After Eight by Meg Cabot

I know that it seems a bit of a strange choice, but I'd like to point out that Meg Cabot definitely counts as a chick-lit author, she writes for grown up princesses, too, and that I studied children's literature. But I read the Princess Diaries books because I like them.

Or at least I think I do. For some reason I am compelled to buy them and read them, despite the fact I know I will be disappointed. And the reason I find them lacking is... they're children's books. This was too short, too formulaic, and the punctuation (!!!!!!) gets a bit irritating after a while. What doesn't help is the fancy faux jacket large paperback style Macmillan have been issuing these in. £7.99 for an hour's read feels a bit steep, especially when it's masquerading as a bit of a thicker read. But if I had a kid sister, I'd definitely give her Meg Cabot books. And I love Meg's diary.

No comments: