I had an invitation out to dinner with a friend of Sarah and Lance's, a guy called Jason, to meet his sister and brother-in-law who are visiting from Switzerland, but are actually American, as is Jason. Lost yet? Anyway, the invitation came about in a weird way and is also the story of an air mattress, and me failing on a promise, but clearly Jason doesn't hold it against me. I guess that the way you might actually describe the evening was as 'fellowship'; I don't have much in common with these people, short of being a Christian, and I suspected, with my innate sense of inadequacy, that had I not come with the Sarah-and-Lance stamp of approval, I would not be the kind of person Jason would invite out. But that's just me being silly. We had burgers at Tootsies, it was enjoyable; I left at ten, because I knew it would take me a long time to get home, and we'd done a lot of walking. Oxford's not that big, but it was enough walking to make me wish I'd been wearing my trainers, not boots.
At Wycliffe, I swiped a copy of the Saturday Times Magazine; an interview with David Gray. What a lovely man he is, the love deepens. This morning (well, afternoon now!), I read an excellent article about Leona Lewis which contains the comment "this is article is far too long, it is like a thesis" at the bottom. Erm, no, this article is NOT far too long, and as for being like a thesis, since a thesis is meant to be of BOOK length, I think not, too! For some reason that really annoyed me; that person has never had to read boring proposals for academic books based on theses; that person has clearly never read a thesis before in his life. It irritated me, because I thought it was beautifully and thoughtfully written, and truthful. I liked it, and everyone's a critic these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment