
I really liked this book. I loved it. I read it in a bit of a hurry, though, due to coaches and travelling and sleeping on sofa cushions, so it's all gone a bit fuzzy. And the problem with setting a book in the snow is that (maybe this is just me) it makes the images in the reader's eye all a bit snowy, too. My over-riding memory of the book is of the cold and the white. Which is probably a good thing. It's also the second book I've read in recent times (the other being a children's book) which explores the concept of 'another place' between earth and heaven/hell. And the girl, Laura, the main character, is gritty, and lovely, and the prose is excellent.
Just one point: the UK paperback cover is better than this. It's white with a pretty girl, and red writing, but it wasn't posted on Amazon for me to steal. Which is a shame, because as marketing ploy, the cover really works. It looks like a Jodi Picoult, but it's miles better than that.
1 comment:
This book still haunts me to this day, despite the fact that I read it almost a year ago.
Post a Comment