Monday, 15 January 2007

Brown Owl's Guide to Life by Kate Harrison



How much did I love this book? So much. So much that I read it in the shower (kind of the cheat's way of reading in the bath), so much that I read it in a greedy binge, so much that I felt sad when it ended. This might have something to do with the fact that in the weird internetty way, from reading Kate Harrison's blog, I feel like I know her (which I don't), and so I wanted to like her book, but actually, I'd read her previous two novels, and while I'd liked them, I hadn't thought they were brilliant, so perhaps it was that my expectations were realistic, and were surpassed that I enjoyed reading this book so much.

Of course, it's not really about the Brownies. That's just a conceit. Really, it's about people, and relationships, and all the usual thngs books are about. But I loved the extracts from Brownie Handbooks, and the narrative switched brilliantly between first person and third person, present and past. It really worked. It had warmth, it had empathy, it was lighthearted about serious stuff, and urgh I'm rambling, but it just was fab.

No comments: